The Sales Engineer is responsible for developing, building, and maintaining assigned customer relations while achieving sales and profit growth goals established by management. They are expected to grow existing business and contact new customers in order to promote engineering solutions. They will maintain customer relations in matters of building relationships, answering questions, providing concepts and quotations, receiving and entering purchase orders, staying up-to-date on project progress, and conducting satisfaction surveys. The Sales Engineer interacts with customers through a combination of phone, email, fax, personal contact whether at YAC or onsite visits, trade shows, etc.|
Principal Job Responsibilities
- Develop, build, and maintain B2B relationships with current and potential customers through phone, email, personal contact whether at YAC or onsite visits, trade shows, conferences, and other types of events. Prepare, update, and execute YAC presentation materials to customers.
- Create 2D/3D design concepts.
- Confirm system and design feasibility/capability by analyzing customer requirements and project specifications.
- Attend and effectively represent YAC at conferences and/or trade shows as assigned.
- Maintain YAC’s customer list with all pertinent information, proposals, orders, and communications. This includes contact names, phone numbers, addresses, email/phone communications, proposals, purchase orders (PO), issues, etc.
- Qualify sales leads and provide concepts, quotations, and project proposals to customers for engineering solutions. Collaborate with other YAC technical departments to ensure appropriate proposal strategy and successful execution of a project upon award. Negotiate pricing, delivery dates, payment terms, and other terms and conditions as appropriate. Enter quotation data into spreadsheet for report analysis.
- Receive customer PO through email, fax, and mail. Verify pricing, delivery dates, payment terms, and other terms and conditions are accurate and are appropriate. Coordinate and confirm due dates and schedules with appropriate departments and suppliers prior to responding to the customer with a PO acknowledgement and any necessary updates or changes. Enter PO information into QuickBooks.
- Proactively manage customers’ satisfaction by communicating with engineering and production in order to anticipate and investigate problems; collaborate with YAC staff to create a solution; and then communicate problems and potential solutions to the customers.
- Coordinate sales orders from receipt of purchase order through delivery and invoicing. Coordinate with internal departments to ensure complete, accurate, on-budget, and on-time delivery.
- Submit invoice request forms to the Accounting Department according to the PO terms. Invoicing can be done at milestone completion, monthly, quarterly, upon project completion, etc. Within one week of invoice release, follow up with the customer to confirm receipt of invoice. Follow up on past due invoices on a monthly basis or as requested.
- Maintain accurate sales records, customer files, quotations, and purchase orders. Keep an organized work environment.
- Maintain professional and technical knowledge by attending education workshops; reviewing professional publications; and establishing personal networks.
- Regular travel via land and air, to customer site, tradeshows, conferences, etc. Generate and maintain all travel reports including travel request forms and expense reports.
- Provide the Sales Manager and the Vice President with regular reports.
- Other duties as necessary to ensure organizational success and customer satisfaction.
Bachelor's degree in a technical or business field; or equivalent combination of education and relevant work experience required.
Qualifications & Experience
- Prefer 2+ years of engineering experience and 1+ years of sales experience (preferably in a Manufacturing environment).
- Technical background and experience in automation and/or robotic sales is a plus.
- Experience in the automotive and/or diecast industry is a plus.
- Demonstrated experience creating concept drawings in a 2D or 3D CAD software. Prefer experience with AutoCAD and/or Autodesk Inventor.
- Must be self-motivated and driven with a high level of initiative and results-orientation.
- Must be able to balance customer needs against organizational needs and vice versa.
- Proficient in computer skills, especially with Microsoft Excel, Word, PowerPoint, Project, and Outlook. QuickBooks experience is a plus.
- Able to multi-task and prioritize assignments while paying close attention to detail.
- Demonstrated working knowledge of many of the functions within sales and customer service including: prospecting, negotiation, and presentation skills
- Demonstrated ability to facilitate problem resolution and conflict management situations.
- Excellent written and verbal communications skills.
- Ability to fluently speak and write Japanese and English is a plus.
- Must possess a valid driver’s license.
- Able to work in the US without sponsorship.