The Controls Designer analyzes customer requirements and the design of process and/or mechanical equipment to design automation systems that will cause the equipment to function in the desired manner. They analyze user requirements, procedures, and problems to identify the system components and develop the design and functional specifications for the automation systems. They are responsible for control panel design.|
Principal Job Responsibilities
- Evaluate electrical systems, products, components, and applications by designing automation systems, applying knowledge of electricity and materials.
- Confirm systems and components capabilities.
- Create electrical design drawings by studying customer requirements/specifications and manufacturing and assembly methods and materials.
- Develop manufacturing processes by designing and modifying equipment for building and assembling electrical components.
- Assure product quality by designing electrical testing methods; testing finished products and system capabilities.
- Provides engineering information by answering questions and requests.
- Maintains product and company reputation by complying with federal and state regulations.
- Creation of wiring diagrams, wire routing schematics, and harness fabrication statements, as well as assisting with the documentation of systems.
- Draw and modify schematics using AutoCAD Electrical.
- Create panel design resulting in selection of components, create electrical part lists for ordering, and create purchasing requisitions.
- Create controls design standards and templates based on company practices.
- Construct manuals and support documentation for customers.
- Assist technicians with questions related to schematics.
- Assist with the support hardware debug to verify system operation.
- Test programming after initial building.
- Work with the engineering team and customers regarding projects.
- Travel to customer facilities following system installation for program modifications and troubleshooting.
- Other duties as necessary to ensure organizational success and customer satisfaction.
Associates or bachelor’s degree in Electronics or Electrical Engineering or equivalent work experience. (Degree is preferred)
Qualifications & Experience
- Prefer 5+ years engineering experience in designing control panels for automation systems.
- Demonstrate experience in the following software programs:
- Electrical Schematic 2D software (AutoCAD Electrical experience is plus)
- PLC and HMI programming languages is a plus
- Robot programming is a plus (Fanuc)
- Servo Drives experience is a plus
- Pneumatic design experience is a plus
- Sensor Technologies (flow, pressure, level, temperature, analytical, counters, position, motion, vision, etc.)
- Networks and PC tools (CC Link, DeviceNet, Ethernet, I/O Link)
- Microsoft Office
- Knowledge of and experience working in a manufacturing environment with technical knowledge of operations and manufacturing flow.
- Up-to-date professional and technical knowledge.
- Able to conceptualize and communicate technical information, verbally and in writing.
- Familiarity with Industry 4.0.
- Understanding of RIA Robot Safety Standards, OSHA Safety Standards, and NFPA 79 standards, and NEC.